Conservation Officers in Nunavut and the Northwest Territories work hard to monitor and ensure compliance with the Acts and Regulations that are in place to ensure sustainable harvesting by:
- Working with the community to record and monitor all polar bear encounters;
- Monitoring all harvests that occur in each community;
- Patrolling kill sites to conduct investigations when illegal activities are suspected;
- Investigating all defense kills to ensure compliance;
- Collecting samples and data for research from all bears harvested or found dead;
- Ensuring tags are issued for each bear harvested; and,
- Issuing export permits for each bear leaving Nunavut or the Northwest Territories.